Recipe: Gluten-Free Almond Raspberry Cake
This time of year farmer’s markets are bursting with all kinds of delectable berries perfect for cake-baking.
This cake is gluten-free, freezes beautifully and has a fabulously moist texture. For a special treat, we like to serve it warm (or warm it slightly in the oven) and add a dollop of ice cream.
1 nine-inch cake
Cooking spray, for greasing the pan
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup cannabutter, melted
1¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ½ cups of your favorite gluten-free flour (with a 1-to-1 ratio)
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons raspberry jam, divided
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
¾ cup vanilla Greek yogurt, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with the cooking spray and set it aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the unsalted butter, cannabutter and 1 ¼ cups of the sugar.
3. Stir in the beaten eggs, mixing well. Stir in the orange juice concentrate, zest and almond extract.
4. Stir in the flour until just mixed. Turn the batter into the prepared pan. Swirl ½ cup of the jam through the cake with a small spoon. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the almonds, followed by the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Bake until the cake is golden and set or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
6. Let the cake completely cool in the pan.
7. Just before serving, combine the yogurt in a small bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons of jam and place a dollop on each slice.
This recipe is featured in “Herb: Mastering the Art of Cooking with Cannabis.” Purchase your copy here.
Originally published in issue 18 of Cannabis Now. LEARN MORE.